Wednesday, January 29, 2014

1950's Valentines and Where it All Started


I have often wondered where the idea of Valentines Day came from. I did a bit of poking around and this is the best explanation I could find. More cards below. Enjoy.
  
Chaucer's love birds
Jack B. Oruch writes that the first recorded association of Valentine's Day with romantic love is in Parlement of Foules (1382) by Geoffrey Chaucer.[21] Chaucer wrote:
For this was on seynt Volantynys day
Whan euery bryd comyth there to chese his make.
["For this was on Saint Valentine's Day, when every bird cometh there to choose his mate."]
This poem was written to honor the first anniversary of the engagement of King Richard II of England to Anne of Bohemia.[37] A treaty providing for a marriage was signed on May 2, 1381.[38] (When they were married eight months later, they were each only 15 years old).

I hope you find it as interesting as I did. These cute little 1950's Valentine Cards are some my mother collected over the years and some belonged to my Aunt "Dottie" Jean when she was a teacher in the late 1940's and  early1950's, she has since passed. I hope you find them as cute as I do.



What silly things do you save?

No comments: