Saturday, April 18, 2015

Tomato Tales

Tuesdays with a Twist
My 1st Time linking up here
 

Join us for ideas on living a Simple Lifestyle and being Self Sufficient!

This is my first time linking up with this Blog Hop!
Are you getting as excited as I am thinking about the first warm, sweet, juicy, ripe tomato of the year? We have always grown tomatoes. The last three years tho, not as many plants as my husband and I are now living in an apartment. I do miss bringing out my big canner and all the glass jars to preserve the years bounty.
 My favorite to plant every year is the Sweet 100...Cherry-type tomatoes do very well in sunny patio containers. Be sure to offer plenty of light, and monitor moisture; plants in containers can dry out faster than those planted in the ground. Next must have is the heirloom Brandywine... (this was my Dads' favorite) it is one of the most popular and best-tasting heirloom tomatoes. The very vigorous plants bear large-lobed, beefsteak-shaped fruit that are perfect for slicing. The thin-skinned, pinkish-red tomatoes are flavorful, but do not have the acidic taste of others.  Then of course, I had to purchase some Bush Cucumbers they do very well in containers for small spaces.
These are my MUST haves. I purchased them before the stores in my area ran out, last year not one Brandywine plant could be found! We had to settle for German Johnsons no comparison to the Brandywine!

I can't wait to put them up in there big boy pots, I live in Missouri so I am waiting till May 1st and the race is on to see who gets the FIRST tomato closest to the July 4th holiday. In my little town, you should see the spies lurking over fences and peeking around your back porches to see if yours are doing better than anyone else! :-) Do you have a favorite or a must have you plant every single year?

No comments: