Thursday, January 23, 2014

$10 Healthy Meal Challenge

$10 Healthy Meal Pinterest Challenge Join Me! -->
Enter to win a special gift basket chock-full of No Kid Hungry treats!

Here's how to get started.

During the month of January, post a picture of your favorite healthy meal on Pinterest, making sure it costs about $10 total for a family of four and tagging #WalmartGiving and #NoKidHungry. Be sure to include a list of ingredients, the total cost of the meal, and a description of your recipes. In early February, prizes will be awarded for the following categories: Most Family Friendly, Most Creative and Best Presentation!

Rules:
  • "Healthy” means the meal should include foods from at least three food groups, and be low in added sugar, salt and fat.
  • Meals must be posted between January 6 - 31.
  • Only meals posted on Pinterest are eligible.
  • Only meals tagged with #WalmartGiving and #NoKidHungry are eligible.
  • Winners will be announced in early February at CookingMatters.org 

I am entering my Dutch Oven Verde Pork Stew with Corn Sticks.


http://kimskluttermo.blogspot.com/
A warm bowl of healthy veggies and lean pork steaks cubed and cooked up tender in a nice Verde (Green Sauce) with a sweet corn stick for dipping. And all for under $10.00!
I cubed 2 very large pork steaks patted dry, coated with seasoned flour, I used (Mrs. Dash & Black Pepper and dried cumin), then place a single layer in hot oil in your pan and brown lightly, remove pieces to paper toweling too drain fat while you brown the rest of your meat. After all pieces are browned use a paper towel to wipe your skillet or Dutch Oven out.
Wash and dice 4 potatoes, 2 ribs of celery, 3 carrots and 1 white or yellow onion. You can add more or less of any veggie of course that you and your family prefers.
 
Now it is as easy as adding your browned meat and veggies to your pan, and 1 large can 28 oz.any
brand, I use Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce. Add 2 full cans of water and stir gently to mix. You can cook on your stove or even you crock-pot but, I prefer to place in the oven at 350 degrees for 90 minutes. Because I will be using my oven for the Corn Sticks, the oven is hot and ready. And my mom and my grandmother slow roasted their stews this way.

Done! Can't you just taste it? I always add a bit of dried cumin when it comes out, it smells wonderful!
Who does not love Jiffy Corn Bread mix for a quick little bread? One little box yields 7 sweet little sticks you can of course use muffin tins or an 8x8 square pan. I always add a pinch or two of sugar to the mix. When I cook cornbread etc. from scratch I like it Sweet.

This is my wonderful 4 in 1 Cast Iron Dutch Oven given to me by my Mom many years ago. It has served many well. I just love it. It has a hinged removable lid.


And I think everyone has a Corn Stick pan, (mostly hanging on the wall, use it!) they make the crispiest little ears. Always get them good and hot before you put your batter in! No stickin' then!

No comments: